Sometimes we all need inspiration and a little push to remind us that traveling should not be taken for granted. The world is so grand, and there is so much to explore. Words are powerful and they can even motivate us to get up and do that thing we’ve been wanting to do. Here are 10 quotes to help fuel your inspiration to travel.
1. “A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.” –John A. Shedd
This quote is a reminder that people will always feel more comfortable inside their comfort zone, but everyone has the potential to do more. However, that does require people to step outside their comfort zone. People may feel safe in their little bubble always staying in their hometown, but we are all meant to expand our minds and see what else the world has to offer.
2. “Jobs fill your pocket, but adventures fill your soul.” – Jamie Lyn Beatty
In the world we live in today, people often get caught up in work and forget that they deserve time off just to travel and get away from their everyday lives. It’s important to make money, but it’s also important to remember that there’s more to life than just work. Traveling is beneficial in so many ways and can even help someone come back more relaxed and with a new perspective.
3. “I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
Seeing the moon, the sun, or really, anything on the other side of the world really opens your eyes and makes you realize: “Wow, I’m really here, in a place where everything is different.” It humbles you and reminds you that there is such a big world to see out there.
4. “We travel, initially, to lose ourselves; and we travel, next to find ourselves. We travel to open our hearts and eyes and learn more about the world than our newspapers will accommodate. We travel to bring what little we can, in our ignorance and knowledge, to those parts of the globe whose riches are differently dispersed. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again- to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more.” – Pico Iyer
Pico Iyer is a travel writer that has inspired so many people to explore the world. He writes his own travel memoirs as well as topics such as what it means to be a traveler. This quote specifically comes from his work titled Why We Travel. These are some of the important things he mentions why people travel, and I couldn’t agree more.
5. “Once you have travelled, the voyage never ends, but is played out over and over again in the quietest chambers. The mind can never break off from the journey.” – Pat Conroy
One of the best things about traveling is that you will remember that journey forever. Even the slightest smell, or something you see, can take you back to that time. You remember what you did, the people you were with, and the unforgettable moments you had. Where you go eventually becomes a part of you because it will always be something you hold close.
6. “Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.” –Anonymous
People assume that because someone travels, they have a lot of money. I don’t think that is necessarily true, as I believe people who travel just have different priorities. Instead of saving up money to buy a designer items, some save that money for a flight ticket. The difference is that when some people buy materialistic items, they lose that money. Traveling is the only investment that truly makes someone rich – rich with knowledge, experience, memories, and more.
7. “It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end.” – Ursula K. Le Guin
The journey to get to the destination is a story in itself. When you think about a time when you went somewhere, you might say that the place you saw was beautiful, but also you remember the exciting journey it took to get there. That’s one of the beautiful things about traveling: even when you end up at the same place, everyone’s journey to get there is different.
8. “Better to see something once than to hear about it a thousand times.” – Asian Proverb
You can hear people talk about a certain place or see hundreds of photos of it on social media, but it is guaranteed that it would never be the same as actually being there in person, standing there and taking it all in. It’s one of the most satisfying feelings in the world. When people talk about a place, that’s their own interpretation and experience, and it won’t be the same as yours.
9. “I always wonder why birds stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth. Then I ask myself the same question.” – Harun Yahya
As humans, we were meant to be curious and explore. And so it is important to take advantage of the fact that we are able to travel to wherever we please.
10. “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people just exist.” –Oscar Wilde
There is a difference between living and just existing. We were all given a life for a reason, so why not make the most of it?